Saturday 4 January 2014

My Billboard Evaluation

My finished billboard goes against the normal conventions of the typical teenage girl’s magazine advertisement. The billboard is in the format of the front cover of my magazine so that my target audience, which is teenage girls, will recognise it instantly when they see it on a shop shelf. The purpose of my billboard is to reach out to girls and feel as though it is targeting them individually. The genre fits with the feminist ideology of girls being confident and content with who they are. My target audience is demographically targeted to a Westernised society. Not having to fit society’s expectations is a major focus point of my continual theme of girls being unique and not following the heard of sheep which is portrayed through the media.

My finalised billboard shows an image of a girl wearing a light blue pastel coloured jumper which is a popular colour at the moment amongst young girls. The model has a beaming smile across her face which represents her self confidence in her skin, the model is not a skinny size 2 girl with her bones sticking out which the media constantly portrays as “beautiful” instead she is a healthy size with a glow about her skin and hair. The model is also wearing minimal makeup, a small amount of foundation so that you can still see her freckles, and her eyes have only got mascara on to highlight them. Her hair has got a natural wave to it and has been left lose around her shoulders but pulled to one side to fit the angle that her head is tilted again to fit the running theme of natural beauty. The shot was taken as the model started to laugh to get the hint of sparkle in her eyes.
Through my research of advertising billboards from the Egyptians influence to the 1900’s up to modern day with 2D and 3D billboards, I have designed my billboard to reach the best of its potential. I have decided to design it as a 2D billboard and I have included a QR code in the bottom left hand corner to connect my billboard to online content through multimedia. Smartphone’s are popular amongst teenage girls and therefore a QR code is appropriate. Finally the date of the first issue is at the bottom of the billboard in italic to gather people’s attention and give them the appropriate information.
The layout idea of my billboard is to not be overcrowded therefore the title of the magazine is situated at the top like the heading on a magazine front cover in bold Tahoma font for “teen” and Times New Roman italic for “unique” so that there is a clear difference between the two words, these two font themes have been continued throughout my billboard. With the image of the model covering the majority of the page as the main focus point. Below the models chin is a quotation “Happiness and confidence is a girl’s best accessory” by doing this I have highlighted the theme behind my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment